This course was designed to give pediatric residents a basic introduction to the principles of mechanical ventilation in the Pediatric ICU setting.
- Identify the indications for acute mechanical ventilation
- Describe the major determinants of oxygenation and ventilation
- Demonstrate how to adjust mean airway pressure and minute ventilation
- Define the variables associated with mechanical ventilation (FiO2, PEEP, PIP, RR, Vt, I time)
- Compare and contrast different modes of ventilation
- Recognize the relationship between volume and pressure in lung compliance
- Demonstrate how to adjust mechanical ventilation for patients with hypoxia and hypercarbia