Welcome to the GO MOMS Train the Trainer course for 2021. This course site contains all of the online and asynchronous materials you will need before your live session with the GO MOMS team. If you haven’t already, please complete the pre-course survey that was sent to you from the GO MOMS course director via email. The confirmation screen at the end of the survey has the password you will need to view this content. If you need assistance please contact your GO MOMS course director.
| What Every Primary Care Provider Needs to Know |
After completing this course you should be more confident in your ability to:
- Explain why general healthcare practitioners should test and monitor for congenital hypothyroidism.
- Formulate a plan for the confirmatory retesting for congenital hypothyroidism.
- Prescribe and adjust treatment according to the American Academy of Pediatrics published guidelines (2006).
- Counsel and educate parents to address questions and concerns about congenital hypothyroidism and emphasize their responsibility in medication adherence.
- Interpret thyroid function tests.
- Distinguish which children warrant a trial off thyroid hormone replacement to determine if congenital hypothyroidism was transient.
- Monitor associated developmental challenges that affect children with congenital hypothyroidism.
- Utilize communication tools (such as parental handouts and patient family diaries) to improve patient outcomes and reduce health disparities due to socioeconomic determinants and language differences.